Home » NHRA

Force Fined; Grudge Race Proposed

Info Manager | , RacinToday.com Thursday, September 10 2009
NHRA fines John Force.

NHRA fines John Force.

Funny Car racer John Force has been fined $10,000 by the NHRA for an incident involving physical contact with an NHRA official on Monday, Sept. 7 during the Mac Tools U.S. Nationals presented by Lucas Oil at O’Reilly Raceway Park at Indianapolis.

Videotape from the event showed Force making physical contact with an NHRA official at the top end of the race track during a confrontation with fellow Funny Car driver Tony Pedregon.  Such physical contact violates the Participant Conduct policy as stated in the 2009 NHRA Rulebook.  The fine, which can be appealed by Force, must be paid in full prior to participation at any future NHRA event.

Headquartered in Glendora, Calif., NHRA is the primary sanctioning body for the sport of drag racing in the United States. It presents 24 national events through its NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series. NHRA has 80,000 members and 140 member tracks. The NHRA-sanctioned sportsman and bracket racing series provide competition opportunities for drivers of all levels. The NHRA develops the stars of tomorrow by offering the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series, NHRA Summit Racing Series and the NHRA Drags: Street Legal Style presented by AAA. NHRA also offers the Jr. Drag Racing League for youth ages 8 to 17.

In other news:

Speedway Motorsports President Marcus Smith is offering to host a winner-take-all $20,000 grudge race between John Force and Tony Pedregon on Friday night, Sept. 18, of the NHRA Carolinas Nationals at zMAX Dragway.

“I’m a race fan at heart and after watching the U.S. Nationals at Indy, and the heated confrontation between John and Tony, I can say without a doubt that’s the matchup I want to see at the Carolinas Nationals,” said Smith. “Those guys nearly came to blows. What better way to kickoff an exciting weekend than ending the first Pro day with a $20,000-to-win ‘Grudge Match at zMAX’ between those two champions?”

Info Manager | , RacinToday.com Thursday, September 10 2009

• Sandy Smith says:

Hmmmmm, I think NHRA got just what they wanted. A “Top Ten Countdown” with a whole lot of hype. Lets face it, NHRA became desperate to catch up to NASCAR in popularity & sponsorship and forgot what Wally Parks really set out to do with drag racing. The fact is Force has four cars in the countdown…. mission accomplished for John and his sponsors. I believe that is the “driving force” (pardon the punn) behind every team owner/driver. I say… DO AWAY WITH THE TOP TEN COUNTDOWN and put it back to the way it use to be. But as Hot Rod Fuller said, It is what it is”.

• charlie says:

How much more do we need to read “John Force did this for nhra and that for drag racing” Lets not forget what drag racing, NHRA and the fans did for John Force. Like anything else if you get stupid or to big, sure you’ll hit the big time, But don’t get too big or too stupid cause the bottom will drop out on you and everyone loses. Force, NHRA & the fans!
    Simple heads up racin!
    John Force said last week God speaks for him. I’m not sure if God speaks for CHEATERS!

• MARK LA CIURA says:

A MATCH RACE SOUNDS GREAT… BUT I THINK IT WOULD COUNT AS TESTING … THE OTHER AA/FC DRIVERS, I THINK WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A MATCH RACE…

• odie says:

dunn was only commenting on what he saw. i saw the same thing and i agree with him. this type of thing happens all the time. i was in atlanta in the 90’s watching the last race of the nascar season. rick hendricks enter cars that had not ran all year so he could park them after a few laps just in case gorden had problems.

• alan b says:

Enough talk is enough and a lot of jelous people (Tony / Cruz) have been talking crap about Force Racing. Go talk to Schumaker racing. I belive it would have been easy for Bernie to over tune Johns car to spin the tires. Maybe he gave his driver an edge but everyone wants sponsors you have to make sponsors happy: Regardless Tony has been talking way too much crap about Force Racing. Tony owes John quite a bit. Ease up and give your Master his due! One last note John was under a lot of stress with Austinin the hospital and Tony was as well making that terrible business decision with Dickie.
    Go Force Go!

• bj vavra says:

1.John picked the lane that no other pro driver picked. 2.John’s reaction time was .225, Robert’s was .133 or so
    3.John got out of the groove therefore smoking his tires.
    Robert needed to win to get in the points chase(and not red light ie reaction time)
    =
    A nobrainer and a race that you didn’t have to watch or listen to, to know the outcome.

• [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by John Amorosano and Leone. John Amorosano said: Here is the info on the fine; http://bit.ly/19m1Jp [...]

• Steve Klemetti says:

Tony and Cruz were just crybabies and John got tired of it.
    They couldn’t just let whatever will be, will be.

John gets excited. But he kept going through the people holding him back.

I don’t see a problem with Mike Dunn’s comments. He called it as he saw it. There is nothing that NHRA can do about that. Why punish Robert for what John did? Robert made a good pass himself.

• gena brammer says:

I THINK MIKE DUNN WAS VERY UNPROFESSIONAL WITH HIS COMMENTS MADE REGARDING JOHN FORCE CHEATING. THE COMMENTS WERE MADE WITHOUT FOUNDATION-NO PROOF-AND MADE IN A UNSPORTSMANLIKE MANNER.MIKE DUNN IS HIRED BY THE NHRA TO COMMENTATE THE RESULTS OF A RACE NOT GIVE HIS OPINION AS IF HE IS A NHRA OFFICIAL-BECAUSE HE IS NOT-OR SPEW-OUT HIS PERSONAL FEELINGS ABOUT SOMEONE.IF HE&THE CRY BABY BROTHERS WANT TO SPEW-OUT THEIR FEELINGS-THEY NEED TO GO ON DR.PHIL. MIKE DUNN’S COMMENTS WERE RUDE&DISRESPECTFUL TO JOHN FORCE&TO THE NHRA FANS WHO HEARD THEM. I THINK IT WAS UNETHICAL,UNPROFESSIONAL,DISRESPECTFUL,DISAPPOINTING&DISTURBING TO HEAR SUCH AN ABUSE OF POSITION! I HAVE LOST ALL RESPECT FOR MIKE DUNN NOW-&ALL THE FANS I HAVE SPOKE TO FEEL THE SAME WAY. I THINK MIKE DUNN SHOULD BE RELIEVED OF HIS POSITION AS RACE COMMENTATOR FOR THE NHRA FOR SUCH AN INFRACTION&TOTAL ABUSE OF POWER!–WOW- GENA JOHNSON-TEXAS FAN

• MARK LA CIURA says:

I FEEL THE SAME WAY RE; MR. DUNN… AT THE END OF HIS COMMENTS HE SAID “I STILL LOVE JOHN FORCE’… HE NEEDS TO REMENBER FORCE IS NHRA DRAG RACING THAT’S WAY PEOPLE PAY BIG MONEY TO SEE “HIM” RACE AND THAT’S WHY MR. DUNN IS NOT RACN NOW. FORCE STARTED FROM 0.. DUNN HAD A DAD TO GET HIM STARTED. THAT’S WHY FORCE IS # 1 WITH ME…

• charlie says:

calm down mr caps locked!
        Releaving him of his duties? Dude Mikes been there and Dunn that!
        Mike was never unprofessional in the manner in which he presented that race at all. Just becuase you did’nt like hearing what he said maybe? He dose’nt talk crap, He was a class racer that can speak by virtue of his experiance. Lets not forget, not all these people that tune in to watch full throtle are veteran fans, Mike’s providing the insite to folks that might know know all this stuff to reveal an intrest of what you have to admit was a very intresting event. Cudos to You Mike!
        Sportsmanship and fairness is key in any sport regardless of it being baseball or batmitten. key points to ponder

Did you see the smirk on the daughters face when espn panned to them after thire father threw the race? ~ kids sure are transparent. Maybe we should fire the cameraman!

Did you pick up on Roberts comment after getting out of the cock pit? ~”I don’t believe we did this” oh -oh do you feel a little wetnes in your pants Robert? after all you have nothing to do with any of this, your just the gas station attendant.

• Dan G says:

Calm down, Ms. Caps Locked(sorry, Charlie).
        A few comments about this.
        Has anyone noticed that J. Force did his burnout and then apparently lined up a foot and a half or so to the side of the tracks?
        Kind of a fine point, but I’m not sure I would use the word “cheating”. And I don’t think Dunn said cheating, but that the “fix was in”. It might be poor sportsmanship, for sure, but cheating, to me, means illegal fuel, traction control, too much blower overdrive, something like that.
        I have to agree the Pedregons over the years have often looked like they have some kind of resentment towards Force.

• john wheeler says:

Are you kidding me.You do realize Mike Dunn was in the movie Funny Car Summer! Need I say more

• tom richter says:

I think John has done more for the sport than any other driver, Tony should build his team to have more than 2 cars if he does not think john plays fair, I think Mike Dunn should be fired for his coments on espn2 he made about John Force, If Mike is so smart why isn’t he still racing…….

• Alan B says:

I’m with you brother, Tony owes John BIGTIME and he [Tony] has run his mouth So much!

Mike Dunn should be Mike Dunce! You’re sitting in a journalist chair, be impartial like you’re supposed to! Bring in Gary Selzy, he’ll do a good job!

• john wheeler says:

So lets get this straght, if your a race anouncer you dont get an opinion? Not even if your dads Jim Dunn,Top fuel champ,funny car driver. I think hes couragous for making his feeling known. your a douche

• Ronald Young says:

May cooler heads prevail.