Rain Pushes Pocono Back To Monday
Rain and a wet track forced postponement of Sunday’s Sprint Cup race at Pocono Raceway.
The decision to postpone by NASCAR officials was made late in the afternoon, about two hours after the scheduled starting time.
The has been rescheduled to begin at noon (EDT) on Monday.
Heavy rains deluged the track Sunday morning. The weather began to clear in the early afternoon, though light rains fell intermittently and hamped track-drying efforts.
However, a second problem occurred in the form of “weepers”, or places on the track were ground water seeped up through cracks in the asphalt surface and onto the track.
So, back everybody will be invited back on Monday.
“What’s tough,” driver Bobby Labonte said, “everybody’s got a schedule for the week and everybody’s got plans, and they’re all changed right now, and we can’t get those days back. Everybody’s got to change their stuff. You might be flying out tomorrow; you might have a 6 a.m. flight that you might have to change. It’s bad in that way, but in a sport where we can’t race in the rain and when you’re out racing outdoors, there’s nothing you can do about it.”
Next weekend’s race is at Watkins Glen International in upstate New York. That means a lot of driving ahead for the team haulers.
Jim Gilbert, driver of the No. 82 Red Bull Toyota Racing team’s hauler said it will be a tough week for him, but not an impossible week.
“It’s not going to be too bad this week even if we’re here Monday,” Gilbert said. “We’ve got enough people at the shop to turn the truck around so everything will be good. We’ll still leave on Wednesday afternoon (for New York), Wednesday evening and we have to park Thursday at 7 p.m. I believe so it’s really not too bad of a deal. If they do this thing at 11 or 12 o’clock tomorrow we’ll still be back at the shop Monday evening and they’ll turn the truck around on Tuesday and Wednesday morning and we’ll be back on the road again.”No Comment