Power Gets First IndyCar Victory
Will Power won his first-ever IndyCar Series race when he beat Team Penske teammate Helio Castroneves to the finish line under caution in the Rexall Edmonton Indy event in Canada.
Scott Dixon of Target Chip Ganassi Racing finished third and reclaimed his series points lead in the process.
Penske’s third driver, Ryan Briscoe, finished fourth.
Dixon’s teammate, Dario Franchitti was fifth and crowd favorite Paul Tracy was sixth.
Dixon now leads Franchitti in points, 380 to 377.
“It was one of the toughest races we’ve ever run,” Dixon said. “It’s definitely a tough circuit and it gets a lot tougher when you don’t have the best car. We were definitely hanging on. We seemed to be pretty good for about half the stint on the Firestone tires but we just abused them too much. After that it was just so slippery I just had to hang on. But it was a great day for Team Target. We gained some valuable points; we’re in the points lead so we’ve switched with Dario again It was just a very tough day.”
The race featured a very scary moment when a fueling problem spilled ethanol into the cockpit of the car of Tony Kanaan of Andretti Green Racing.
The fuel ignited and Kanaan had to be pulled out of the car.
Results Sunday of the Rexall Edmonton Indy IndyCar Series event July 26 at the 1.973-mile Edmonton City Centre Airport, with order of finish, starting position in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, laps completed and reason out (if any):
1. (1) Will Power, Dallara-Honda, 95, Running
2. (3) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Honda, 95, Running
3. (4) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 95, Running
4. (2) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Honda, 95, Running
5. (6) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 95, Running
6. (9) Paul Tracy, Dallara-Honda, 95, Running
7. (5) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 95, Running
8. (15) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 95, Running
9. (10) Robert Doornbos, Dallara-Honda, 94, Running
10. (18) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 94, Running
11. (20) Danica Patrick, Dallara-Honda, 94, Running
12. (14) E.J. Viso, Dallara-Honda, 94, Running
13. (17) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda, 94, Running
14. (12) Hideki Mutoh, Dallara-Honda, 94, Running
15. (22) Dan Wheldon, Dallara-Honda, 94, Running
16. (23) Ed Carpenter, Dallara-Honda, 93, Running
17. (21) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Honda, 87, Running
18. (8) Raphael Matos, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
19. (16) Tomas Scheckter, Dallara-Honda, 73, Contact
20. (11) Mike Conway, Dallara-Honda, 63, Running
21. (13) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Honda, 34, Pit Fire
22. (19) Richard Antinucci, Dallara-Honda, 20, Mechanical
23. (7) Mario Moraes, Dallara-Honda, 0, Contact
Winner’s average speed: 109.497 mph
Time of race: 1:42:42.3773
Margin of victory: Under caution
Cautions: 1 caution flags for 2 laps
Lead changes: 5 among 4 drivers
Lap leaders: Power 1-32, Castroneves 33-34, Power 35-62, Briscoe 63, Dixon 64-65, Power 66-95.
– This reported will be updated soon.No Comment