P2 Cars Dominate Baltimore ALMS Race
Christophe Bouchut and Scott Tucker led a 1-2 finish for Level 5 Motorsports at the Baltimore Sports Car Challenge presented by SRT on Saturday, the team’s second overall win in the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón this year.
Bouchut, the P2 pole-sitter in the No. 055 Honda Performance Development ARX-03b prototype, beat Luis Diaz in the No. 95 entry by 2.158 seconds as the two P2 cars led the way in the race on the streets of Baltimore.
Thirteen cars from four classes finished on the lead lap in a topsy-turvy affair.
Wolf Henzler and Bryan Sellers were repeat winners in GT for Team Falken Tire in their No. 17 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR. Sellers held off Corvette Racing’s Oliver Gavin by 2.208 seconds as the Falken Porsche drove the last 70 minutes on a tank of E85 and same set of tires. Two caution periods in the last 16 laps helped the field – including the top five GT runners – stretch its fuel mileage.
Dyson Racing’s Eric Lux and Michael Marsal won the P1 race in their No. 20 Lola-Mazda. The duo recovered from an opening-lap melee that dropped it 25 spots and went clean the rest of the way. It was the first ALMS win for Marsal and first in P1 for Lux.
The No. 16 sister car of Chris Dyson and Guy Smith finished second in class and gained valuable championship points on Muscle Milk Pickett Racing’s Klaus Graf and Lucas Luhr, who finished third in P1. The championship co-leaders lost five laps with a stuck gear actuator and couldn’t recover.
CORE autosport’s duo of Alex Popow and Ryan Dalziel won in Prototype Challenge and finished third overall in their No 06 ORECA FLM09. It marked the second straight win for Popow, who won two weeks ago at Road America with Tom Kimber-Smith. RSR Racing’s Bruno Junqueira and Tomy Drissi finished second, 7.670 seconds back.
TRG’s Al Carter and Patrick Pilet won in GT Challenge in their No. 68 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup. Pilet held off a late charge from Leh Keen in Alex Job Racing’s No. 22 Porsche as the top four cars finished within 1.696 seconds. Keen drove with Cooper MacNeil, the leader in the GTC driver’s championship.
Damien Faulkner and Peter LeSaffre were third for Green Hornet Racing in the No. 34 Porsche.
Baltimore Sports Car Challenge presented by SRT
Baltimore Street Circuit, Baltimore
1. (4) Scott Tucker, Leawood, KS; Christophe Bouchut, France; HPD ARX-03b Honda (1, P2), 67.
2. (6) Ricardo Gonzalez, Mexico; Luis Diaz, Mexico; Scott Tucker, Leawood, KS; HPD ARX-03b (2, P2), 67.
3. (8) Alex Popow, Lecheria, VE; Ryan Dalziel, Scotland; Oreca FLM09 (3, PC), 67.
4. (20) Wolf Henzler; Bryan Sellers, Centerville, OH; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (1, GT), 67.
5. (14) Tom Milner, Leesburg, VA; Oliver Gavin; Corvette C6-ZR1 (2, GT), 67.
6. (19) Scott Sharp, Jupiter, FL; Johannes van Overbeek, San Francisco, CA; Ferrari F458 Italia (3, GT), 67.
7. (18) Joey Hand, Sacramento, CA; Dirk Müller; BMW E92 M3 (4, GT), 67.
8. (17) Patrick Long, Oak Park, CA; Jörg Bergmeister; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (5, GT), 67.
9. (16) Antonio Garcia, Barcelona, ES; Jan Magnussen, Roskilde, DK; Corvette C6-ZR1 (6, GT), 67.
10. (7) Tomy Drissi, Hollywood, CA; Bruno Junqueira; Oreca FLM09 (7, PC), 67.
11. (25) Marco Holzer, Austria; Patrick Long, Oak Park, CA; Seth Neiman, Burlingame, CA; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (8, GT), 67.
12. (15) Jörg Müller, Germany; Bill Auberlen, Hermosa Beach, CA; BMW E92 M3 (9, GT), 67.
13. (3) Michael Marsal, Bedford, NY; Eric Lux, Jacksonville, FL; Lola B11/66 Mazda (10, P1), 67.
14. (21) Bryce Miller, Hoboken, NJ; Sascha Maassen, Aachen, DE; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (11, GT), 66.
15. (23) Bill Sweedler, Westport, CT; Townsend Bell, Santa Monica, CA; Lotus Evora/Cosworth (12, GT), 66.
16. (13) Henri Richard, Los Altos Hills, CA; Duncan Ende, Los Angeles; Oreca FLM09 (13, PC), 66.
17. (24) Ed Brown, Las Vegas, NV; Guy Cosmo, Long Island, NY; Ferrari F458 Italia (14, GT), 66.
18. (22) Tommy Kendall, New Smyrna Beach, FL; Marc Goossens, Belgium; SRT Viper GTSR (15, GT), 65.
19. (31) Al Carter, Greenville, DE; Patrick Pilet, France; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (1, GTC), 65.
20. (28) Cooper MacNeil, Hinsdale, IL; Leh Keen, Dublin, GA; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (2, GTC), 65.
21. (27) Peter LeSaffre, Rye, NH; Damien Faulkner, Mouille, IE; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (3, GTC), 65.
22. (30) Marc Bunting, Monkton, MD; Spencer Pumpelly, Atlanta, GA; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (4, GTC), 65.
23. (2) Chris Dyson, Pleasant Valley, NY; Guy Smith, Beverley, UK; Lola B12/60 Mazda (5, P1), 65.
24. (1) Lucas Luhr, Germany; Klaus Graf, Germany; HPD ARX-03a Honda (6, P1), 62.
25. (12) Lucas Downs, North Mankoto, MN; Matt Downs, North Mankato, MN; Oreca FLM09 (7, PC), 58.
26. (5) David Heinemeier Hansson, Chicago, IL; Martin Plowman, Indianapolis, IN; Morgan/Nissan (8, P2), 56.
27. (29) Chris Cumming, Vancouver, BC; Michael Valiante, Vancouver, BC; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (9, GTC), 49.
28. (11) Tony Burgess, Toronto, ON; Kyle Marcelli, Barrie, ON; Oreca FLM09 (10, PC), 43.
29. (9) Jon Bennett, Fort Mill, SC; Colin Braun, Ovalo, TX; Oreca FLM09 (11, PC), 31.
30. (10) Rodin Younessi, Wellington, FL; Raphael Matos, Brazil; Oreca FLM09 (12, PC), 0.No Comment