Franchitti Wins Pole At Milwaukee Mile
Dario Franchitti will start from the pole for the second consecutive year at the Milwaukee Mile after recording a two-lap average speed of 168.737 mph (43.3100 seconds) for the Milwaukee IndyFest on Friday.
Franchitti, driver of the No. 10 Cottonelle car for Target Chip Ganassi Racing, tied Al Unser for seventh on the all-time list with 27 poles.
Franchitti, who posted the quickest lap of the session at 169.156 mph, could make a significant advancement in the championship standings with his second consecutive victory at the historic track as seven drivers will incur 10-grid spot penalties for unapproved engine changes – including front-runner Will Power and teammate Scott Dixon. Franchitti will enter the 225-lap race 63 points behind Power.
Among the others receiving the grid penalty is Justin Wilson, who followed his first oval victory June 9 at Texas Motor Speedway with a front-row qualifying effort in the No. 18 Sonny’s BBQ car for Dale Coyne Racing. His spot will be taken by Ryan Hunter-Reay in the No. 28 Team DHL/Sun Drop Citrus Soda car for Andretti Autosport (167.911 mph).
Power qualified fourth in the No. 12 Verizon Team Penske car, but will relinquish that position to Rubens Barrichello, who is making his debut at Milwaukee in No. 8 BMC/Embrase/KV Racing Technology car. He’ll be joined on Row 2 by Helio Castroneves (166.763) in the No. 3 Penske Truck Rental car.
“I am extremely happy with today’s qualifying,” Barrichello said. “As soon as we rolled the car out on track it felt good and it’s a great feeling to be able to go flat. I have been to Milwaukee a few times as a spectator and tested here a couple of weeks ago, but everything felt much better today. I have to thank my engineers and crew guys for giving me a good car and hope we can have a good race tomorrow.”
Qualifying Friday for the Milwaukee IndyFest IZOD IndyCar Series event on the 1.015-mile Milwaukee Mile, with starting position, car number in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, and speed:
1. (10) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 168.737
2. (18) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 168.287
3. (28) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Chevy, 167.911
4. (12) Will Power, Dallara-Chevy, 167.361
5. (8) Rubens Barrichello, Dallara-Chevy, 166.899
6. (3) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Chevy, 166.763
7. (67) Josef Newgarden, Dallara-Honda, 166.699
8. (5) EJ Viso, Dallara-Chevy, 166.066
9. (2) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Chevy, 166.031
10. (11) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Chevy, 165.915
11. (9) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 165.726
12. (77) Simon Pagenaud, Dallara-Honda, 165.369
13. (27) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Chevy, 165.312
14. (15) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 165.285
15. (26) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Chevy, 164.893
16. (4) JR Hildebrand, Dallara-Chevy, 164.321
17. (38) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 164.198
18. (98) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda, 163.866
19. (6) Katherine Legge, Dallara-Chevy, 163.516
20. (19) James Jakes, Dallara-Honda, 162.020
21. (83) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Honda, 161.079
22. (22) Oriol Servia, Dallara-Chevy, 160.375
23. (20) Ed Carpenter, Dallara-Chevy, 160.308
24. (78) Simona de Silvestro, Dallara-Lotus, 160.115
25. (14) Mike Conway, Dallara-Honda, 159.794No Comment