Kyle Busch Holds Off Edwards In Nationwide At Richmond
Kyle Busch took the lead with 21 laps to go on a restart and held it the rest of the way to win Friday night’s NASCAR Nationwide Series Lipton Tea 250 at Richmond International Raceway.
The victory allowed Busch to pad his points lead over Carl Edwards, who finished second at Richmond.
Busch’s lead is now 82 points – far from secure but enough to put a smile on his face.
“Yeah, Nationwide is great, but we’ve got to win the championship (in Sprint Cup),” he said. “We want to win the championship here of course, too. We want to win both of them, too. To come out of here with the Sprint Cup title would be awesome. We’re championship form we’ve just got to keep digging.”
Busch entered last year’s Chase in the Cup series with momentum and points, but then the digging ran into trouble. So he knows what can happen to point leads.
Matt Kenseth was third and Brad Keselowski, who won last weekend’s Sprint Cup race at Talladega, was fourth.
Busch’s victory was due in large part to execute on restarts, which were numerous in the late going Friday.
His final pass for the lead came on a restart, as a matter of fact. It came against Edwards.
“He (Edwards) didn’t come up through the gears very well for some reason,” Busch said. “I faked low and went to the outside and just drove around him on the high-side. “He gave me the space and I gave him some space so we could race clean and we made it around him and that was pretty much it.”
Edwards simply said, “He smoked me on the restarts.”
Kevin Harvick was fifth and Joey Logano was sixth.
Unofficial results of the Lipton 250 Nationwide Series race at Richmond International Raceway Friday:
1. Kyle Busch, No. 18 Toyota
2. Carl Edwards, No 60 Ford
3. Matt Kenseth, No. 16 Ford
4. Brad Keselowski, No. 88 Chevrolet
5. Kevin Harvick, No. 33 Chevrolet
6. Joey Logano, No. 20 Toyota
7. Mark Martin, No. 5 Chevrolet
8. Michael McDowell, No. 47 Toyota
9. Jason Keller, No. 27 Ford
10. Jason Leffler, No. 38 Toyota
11. Steve Wallace, No. 66 Chevrolet
12. Erik Darnell, No. 6 Ford
13. Shelby Howard, No. 70 Chevrolet
14. David Green, No. 07 Toyota
15. Tony Raines, No. 234 Chevrolet
16. Scott Wimmer, No. 4 Chevrolet
17. Scott Lagasse Jr., No. 11 Toyota
18. Joe Nemechek, No. 87 Chevrolet
19. Peyton Sellers, No. 177 Chevrolet
20. Danny O’Quinn Jr., No. 01 Chevrolet
21. Brian Keselowski, No. 26 Dodge
22. Derrike Cope, No. 173 Dodge
23. Kenny Wallace, No. 28 Chevrolet
24. D.J. Kennington, No. 81 Dodge
25. Casey Atwood, No. 05 Chevrolet
26. Brendan Gaughan, No. 62 Chevrolet
27. Scott Speed, No. 99 Toyota
28. Burney Lamar, No. 32 Toyota
29. Marc Davis, No. 136 Toyota
30. Brandon Whitt, No. 61 Ford
31. Jeff Burton No. 20 Chevrolet
32. Brian Scott, No. 10 Toyota
33. Mike Bliss, No. 1 Chevrolet
34. Michael Annett, No. 15 Toyota
35. Ken Butler III, No. 23 Chevrolet
36. Morgan Shepherd, No. 89 Chevrolet
37. Benny Gordon, No. 172 Ford
38. Justin Allgaier, No. 12 Dodge
39. Eric McClure, No 24 Ford
40. Mark Green, No. 0 Chevrolet
41. Terry Cook, No. 91 Chevrolet
42. Kertus Davis, No. 49 Chevrolet
43. Johnny Chapman, No. 90 ChevroletNo Comment