Racin’ News: Bowyer In Talks With Waltrip
By Jim Pedley | Managing Editor
In Racin’ News Today, Friday, Sept. 16:
JOLIET, Ill. – Sprint Cup driver Clint Bowyer and Michael Waltrip each confirmed Friday that they are engaged in talks to put Bowyer in the seat of a Michael Waltrip Racing Toyota next year.
Bowyer told RacinToday, “Obviously, yes, we are talking to him. But, there is no deal yet.”
In a statement released by MWR Friday, Waltrip said:
“I can confirm we have had very productive conversations with Clint and a quality sponsor. Today, however, we don’t have anything finalized and we’re not in a position to make any formal announcements. Our goal has never changed. Rob (Kauffman) and I want to continue to improve the competitiveness of our team and be a consistent winner at NASCAR’s highest level. Pursuing Chase-proven personnel, including drivers, has been a priority. As soon as we have more information to share, we will.”
Bowyer is in the final season of his contract with Richard Childress Racing, the team he broke into NASCAR with in 2005.
Bowyer has won four races and two poles during his tenure with RCR.
Last year, he won two races in the Chase. This year, he missed the Chase and is sitting 14th in points as the playoff begins at Chicagoland Speedway.
He and Childress have been unable to reach a deal on an extention and Bowyer said recently he was not optimistic they would.
MWR currently fields cars for Martin Truex Jr. and David Reutimann.
(This story will be updated as news breaks today)One Comment