SunTrust’s Ricky Taylor Wins Fifth Straight Pole
Ricky Taylor improved his consecutive Daytona Prototype pole position streak to five Saturday at New Jersey Motorsports Park, and will lead the field to the start of Sunday’s American Red Cross 250, the ninthround of the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal CaskNo. 16 season.
Taylor, in the No. 10 SunTrust Chevrolet/Dallara, lapped the 2.25-mile, 12-turntrack at a time of 1:16.719 (106.974 mph), slightly better than Antonio Garcia’s time of 1:16.769 (106.904 mph) in the No. 90 Spirit of Daytona Racing Chevrolet/Coyote.
“I think I can’t take very much credit for it in qualifying,” Taylor said. “The cardoes most of the work and it’s been really, really quick this year.”
Taylor’s five-race pole streak moves him within two of the all-time record; JonFogarty won seven consecutive poles in 2007. Fogarty, the defending race co-winner with Alex Gurney, qualified third in the No. 99 GAINSCO Chevrolet/Riley.
In the GT class, John Edwards earned his first career Rolex Series pole,turning in a time of 1:24.673 (95.662 mph) in the No. 42 Team Sahlen Mazda RX-8.
It marks the second pole in three races for the No. 42; Edwards’s co-driver Wayne Nonnamaker won the pole last month at Road America.“The progress Team Sahlen has made is a multitude of things that have cometogether all at the right time,” Edwards said. “We’re shooting for more podiums andhopefully a win or two later this year.”
Joining Edwards on the GT front row will be Boris Said, who turned a time of 1:24.715 (95.615 mph) in the No. 31 Whelen Engineering Corvette.
Starting lineup for the Daytona Prototypes in New Jeresy:
1. SunTrust Racing (No. 10 Chevrolet Dallara) with Ricky Taylor and Max Angelelli (1:15.719 at 106.974 mph)
2. Spirit of Daytona Racing (No. 90 Chevrolet Coyote) with Antonio Garcia and Paul Edwards (1:15.769 at 106.903 mph)
3. Gainsco/Bob Stallings Racing (No. 99 Chevrolet Riley) with Jon Fogarty and Alex Gurney (1:15.995 at 106.585 mph)
4. Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (No. 01 BMW Riley) with Memo Rojas and Scott Pruett (1:16.115 at 106.417 mph)
5. Starworks Motorsport (No. 7 Porsche Riley) with Raphael Matos and Ryan Dalziel (1:17.748 at 104.182 mph)No Comment