Franchitti Fastest At Milwaukee Mile
Dario Franchitti on Saturday won the pole for Sunday’s IndyCar Series race at the Milwaukee Mile in West Allis, Wis.
Joining him on the front row Sunday will be Helio Castroneves.
“It was a combination of the car and the setup was really close to being perfect and I just hung on to it,” said Franchitti, whose lap times were 21.3826 seconds and 21.3940 seconds. “There was lot of oversteer in Turn 3, but the upside to that was it was good everywhere else.
“I am glad to be back at the Milwaukee Mile and this is a great place to start from for tomorrow’s race. It is going to be a tough day because it is like a one-lane track out there with the marbles on side and the black asphalt lane. I think the double-file restarts will work well here at the Milwaukee Mile and the fans are in for a hell of a show.”
Castroneves, a three-time pole sitter but never a winner at Milwaukee, recorded his highest qualifying spot of the season (previous best was fourth at Barber Motorsports Park in mid-April) to challenge for the victory that would extend his streak to 12 seasons with at least one.
“After a good result in Texas (fourth in Race 2), things started turning around for us and this is what we needed,” Castroneves said. “Yes, I would like a pole position, but at the end of the day I will take second place right now. It is a good position to start the race from and my team strategy is right on this weekend.
“This track is challenging and you are going to see people take chances here. When the team has the car dialed in, it is going to be awesome. I got my first victory in Detroit in 2000 on Father’s Day so I am hoping for another win tomorrow.”
Scott Dixon, who won the 2009 race from the second row, will be on the inside of Row 2 (169.582) in the No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing car. The KV Racing Technology-Lotus group of Tony Kanaan, Takuma Sato and E.J. Viso will start in that order fourth through sixth.
Points leader Will Power will start 17th.
Results of qualifying Saturday for the Milwaukee 225 IZOD IndyCar Series event on the 1.015-mile Milwaukee Mile, with starting position, car number in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, and speed:
1. (10) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 170.841
2. (3) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Honda, 169.999
3. (9) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 169.582
4. (82) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Honda, 169.365
5. (5) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 169.308
6. (59) EJ Viso, Dallara-Honda, 169.082
7. (28) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Honda, 169.014
8. (6) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Honda, 168.598
9. (26) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 168.456
10. (2) Oriol Servia, Dallara-Honda, 168.320
11. (24) Ana Beatriz, Dallara-Honda, 167.863
12. (38) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 167.674
13. (22) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 167.621
14. (19) Alex Lloyd, Dallara-Honda, 167.162
15. (7) Danica Patrick, Dallara-Honda, 166.779
16. (06) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Honda, 166.558
17. (12) Will Power, Dallara-Honda, 166.248
18. (4) JR Hildebrand, Dallara-Honda, 166.070
19. (77) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda, 166.031
20. (27) Mike Conway, Dallara-Honda, 166.003
21. (83) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Honda, 165.592
22. (14) Vitor Meira, Dallara-Honda, 165.375
23. (18) James Jakes, Dallara-Honda, 164.814
24. (34) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Honda, 164.440
25. (67) Ed Carpenter, Dallara-Honda, 163.304
26. (78) Simona de Silvestro, Dallara-Honda, no speedNo Comment