Saavedra Wins Firestone Indy Lights at Kansas
By Jim Pedley | Managing Editor
Kansas City, Kan. – Sebastian Saavedra captured his first career checkered flag in the Firestone Indy Lights Series Sunday when he won the Kansas Lottery 100 at Kansas Speedway.
Wade Cunningham finished second and Mario Romancini was third.
Finishing fourth was Ana Beatriz. It was her third top-five finish of the season.
A native of Colombia, and a road-racer by trade, Saavedra is trying to get his legs under him on ovals. He called Sunday’s race, “a great experience” and he wasn’t kidding.
“Now I know what the feeling of being so near another car and the feeling of having a slipstream during the first part of the race,” he said. “Now I’m going to take all this experience and put it in play for the next tracks.”
The next track happens to be Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Notes and quotes:
Wade Cunningham won the pole, his eighth career pole. Cunningham ranks second all-time in poles, second to 2004 series champion Thiago Medeiros, who won nine.
· This is Cunningham’s first pole since Watkins Glen 2007.
· This is the 27th pole for Sam Schmidt Motorsports, the most in series history.
· Sebastian Saavedra qualified second, his third top-three start of the season.
· Ana Beatriz qualified a season-best third. This is her eighth consecutive top-10 start, longest active streak in the series.
· J.R. Hildebrand, the defending winner, qualified fourth, his fourth consecutive top-four start.
· Pippa Mann qualified fifth, her first start inside the top 20.
· Series points leader Junior Strous qualified 17th.No Comment