Conway Claims He Was ‘Ambushed'; Gordon Penalized
By Jim Pedley | Managing Editor
Not all the action was on the race track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway last weekend. And some action which took place in the garages may find its way into a courtroom.
The non-racing action involved drivers Robby Gordon and Kevin Conway. The two reportedly had angry words and much more in the garages. Enough more that Conway filed charges against Gordon.
On Tuesday, NASCAR announced penalties against Gordon.
Officials announced that Gordon, driver of the No. 7 car in the Sprint Cup Series, has been placed on probation until Dec. 31.
Gordon was penalized for violating Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing; involved in an altercation in the garage area with another competitor) of the 2011 NASCAR rule book.
The confrontation apparently involves money. Sponsorship money.
Gordon claims that a sponsor, Extenze, owes him money for putting Conway into one of his Robby Gordon Racing cars last year.
At Daytona last month, Gordon told reporters, “The guys from Extenze, I can’t believe they’re even on the race track this weekend because how do you come around and just jack two teams (with) signed
contracts and bounce checks. You just don’t do that.”
Conway contends that Gordon owes him money for being named rookie of the year.
At Las Vegas, Gordon confronted Conway, who is being sponsored by Extenze again this year in a car owned by Joe Nemechek’s Nemco Motorsports in the Nationwide Series. The two reportedly fought.
NASCAR responded by putting Gordon on probation.
NASCAR spokesman Kerry Tharp told reporters on Saturday, “We met this morning and reviewed the situation and have reacted accordingly. We will continue to look at this situation involving Robby Gordon.”
NASCAR’s action was expanded on Tuesday.
Conway has filed battery charges against Gordon.
In a statement issued late Monday, Conway said, “First and foremost, I love being a part of NASCAR and have worked very hard to earn the privilege of competing in the Sprint Cup Series. On Friday night, Robby Gordon, who has a long history of issues in NASCAR decided to ambush me in the garage area at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, completely unprovoked.
“Robby even confronted Joe Nemechek, my car owner, on pit road during Cup Series qualifying shoving him and telling him that he was looking for me and going to assault me. We have many witnesses including a crew chief that signed a police report documenting the truth of his physical attack on me.
“Situations like this are not good for our sport. It’s one thing if we were racing each other and I wrecked him or he wrecked me, that’s an entirely different situation. It’s very unfortunate that he chose to physically attack me to address his rage. Our fans, sponsors and NASCAR expect and deserve more from our competitors than this bullish, illegal behavior that was displayed by Robby against me.”8 Comments