Home » FEATURE STORY, NASCAR - Nationwide Series

Carl Edwards Has At Keselowski; Wins At Gateway

Jim Pedley | Managing Editor, RacinToday.com Saturday, July 17 2010

Carl Edwards takes the checkered flag at Gateway International Raceway on Friday night. (Photo by Jason Smith/Getty Images for NASCAR)

By Jim Pedley | Managing Editor

They had at it big time, boys, at Gateway International Raceway on a hot Saturday night in Madison, Ill.

Carl Edwards shoved Brad Keselowski out of the way as the two drivers headed to the finish line and went on to win the Missouri-Illinois Dodge Dealers 250 Nationwide Series race at the track which sits across the Mississippi River from St. Louis.

Keselowski’s car, which was leading coming out of the final turn, spun around near the finish line after being hit by Edwards and was then savagely rammed by two cars behind him.

Keselowski appeared to be uninjured but was taken to the infield care center.

The move was a payback, Edwards said, for an incident earlier in the final lap when Keselowski tapped him from behind to get the lead in Turn One.

“I just couldn’t let him take the win from me,” Edwards, who drew a three-race probation in March for unabashedly turning Keselowski in a NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Atlanta, with the unintended consequence of sending the No. 12 Dodge upside-down into the frontstretch wall, said. “My guys work way too hard for that.

“We had a great restart. My guys built me a great car. We came to the checkered flag, and I hate to see stuff tore up, but we came here to win and he took it from us there in Turn 1. Just an awesome race. … I’m sure some of them don’t like that win – Brad Keselowski fans and stuff – but, man, I just couldn’t let him take it from me. I had to do what I had to do.”

Edwards and Keselowski have a long history of aggression toward each other. It boiled over at Talladega Superspeedway last year when Keselowski sent Edwards airborne and into the catch fence on the front straight.

Keselowski’s father, Bob Keselowski, a former racer himself, said Saturday night that he would love to issue Edwards a little payback of his own.

“I’ll get my own damn uniform back on and take care of this. He ain’t going to kill my boy.”

Brad Keselowski told reporters that Edwards was way out off base in wrecking him. He said that his contact earlier in the lead lap was incidental but Edwards’ was not.

In Keselowski’s view, Edwards’ action at Gateway was intentional.

“He turned left into me and wrecked me on purpose,” Keselowski said. “I gave him the lane,

Carl Edwards made an arch enemy Friday at Gateway. (Photo by Jason Smith/Getty Images for NASCAR)

and he still wrecked me. … I figured out a way to beat him. He wasn’t happy with me, so he wrecked me. Wrecking down the straightaway is never cool, whether it’s at 200 mph or 120. I’m sorry that’s the way it had to end.”

Edwards is the first three-time winner at Gateway, and with his second victory of the year and the 27th of his career, he trimmed Keselowski’s lead in the series standings from 227 to 168 points in what has become, basically, a two-man race.

Reed Sorenson finished second and polesitter Trevor Bayne was third. Paul Menard was forth and Steve Wallace fifth.

Bayne said he had a good seat for the Edwards vs. Keselowski.

“I had a front row view of it for sure,” the Michael Waltrip Racing driver said.  ”I was just hoping I could get by the 32 (Sorenson) because I figured for sure I would win the race if I got by him because I figured the 60 (Edwards) and 22 (Keselowski) would kind of take care of themselves just by the way turn one and two looked.

“It was insane from the very beginning of the restart. They went into one and two – Keselowski overdrove it and slid up the track and it looked like the 22 just overdrove it a couple times and slid up the track and tried to run the 60 up and then the 60 just came down there at the end and got the 22 from what I saw.

“I was kind of focused on chasing my car through (turns) three and four because I overdrove it as well on the last lap. Fortunately, it helped us and we got our first top three. It doesn’t really matter how we got it, as long as we got it. I hate it for those guys because they were so dominant all day, but it was just a great run for us.”

A caution with 13 laps to go set up the wild finish. It was caused by Kevin Harvick, who slammed into the outside wall, damaging the right side of his Chevrolet. He was running fourth at the time.

With eight laps to go, Justin Allgaier’s car was damaged in three-wide racing with Steve Wallace and Bayne. Allgaier slowed and was tapped into a spin by Taylor Malsam, sparking a multi-car crash that also involved Joe Nemechek.

Nemechek’s car wound up stalled in the middle of the track, and NASCAR put the field under red-flag conditions with five laps to go.

The green fell with two to go, and Edwards and Keselowski began their clash for the win.

Jim Pedley | Managing Editor, RacinToday.com Saturday, July 17 2010

• When you are in uncomfortable position and have got no cash to move out from that, you will require to receive the loan. Just because that will aid you unquestionably. I take financial loan every year and feel myself good just because of that.

• Virgil Sollozzo says:

Anyone who watched the end of this race and the replays, and is honest with themself, saw Keselowski try (and did) tap Carls’ rear to take him out as the exited turn one as Carl was pulling away. Sorenson, described it suucinctly, Keselowski overdrove in to one and they bumped, which is ok. But, as Carl clearly had the advantage coming out of turn one the tape clearly shows Keselowski turn up the track and tap Carl’s left rear and get him out of shape. This kid has to learn sooner or later, if you play with fire you are going to get burned.

• Christian G says:

Bumping is bumping but this was a turn of the wheel into the right quarter panel of that boys car.

He was wrecked!

I do not care for either driver, so if my favorite driver had that happen to him I would not feel any different.

• ktagueng says:

Sniff sniff sniff……all I hear is a bunch of cry babies from the side lines. Yes I am a Carl fan and a little less of one for the incident but lets keep things in perspective. Over thirty years as a driver and fan, THIS IS RACING! It will work it’s self out on the track and off. Carl can’t be soooooo blatant; Keselowsky has a lot to learn in the respect department. Passion being removed from this sport almost killed it. Let the boys play!

• jessica says:

Dustin, you couldn’t have said it any better, I totally agree with that.

• Ryan says:

It’s hard to say exactly what the line was that got crossed, but I think one did. It looked to me as well that Keselowski’s contact was incidental while Edward’s was expressly most certainly intended to wreck the 22, but that’s not the point. To me this is less about the fact that Edwards is a lousy sport and more that he intentionally caused a major wreck that could have easily resulted in serious injuries or worse to multiple drivers. In fact it probably would have in the days before Dale Sr.’s accident resulted in all the safety improvements. So that makes it a safety issue, I hope NASCAR agrees. Of course the problem is going to be identifying exactly where the line is here that was crossed from a regulation standpoint.

But yeah, Edwards sucks. I went into the race neutral on him but now he’s plus one anti-fan.

• Scott says:

Rubbin is racin but taking ppl out intentionally blatanly and braggin bout it isnt racin. carl is too hotheaded to have 800hp under him. he should be banned for life like nascar did to poor old flock. there are policies in place and mayfield payed for his breach. carl already had a chance not to do this again, something mayfield didn’t. GOODBYE CARL!!! If nascar don’t ban you, be the man and resign. Call Gen. McChrystal and ask for pointers, you make me sick and ashamed that I once rooted for you!!!

• Leroy....Aviston IL says:

We were thier. Brad drove a smart race. he totally had carl off 1 &2 All we saw from our seats at the start finishline was the field wadding up and brad was init. To carl edwards you suk drive clean or suffer the same fate. as harry hog once said rubbins racing. dont go cry about it to nascar when brad turns u pussy. because we all no how big of a crybaby you really are.

brad go win us a championship!!!!!

• Tom says:

Keselowski bumped Edwards bumping is racing. Edwards crashed Keselowski that is not racing.

• moedwards says:

If Brad plays with fire he might get burned! I am 100% confident Carl would have settled for second if was not “moved” out of the way in turn one. How can people not see that? Isn’t this the sort of the thing that made the #3 car so legendary? He didn’t take crap from anybody, right??? If I didn’t see what I saw in turn one, I would agree with the masses. What I saw is Carl geting punted out of the way in turn one, then racing back. Brad should have done a better job when he had the chance!!

• Hammerdown says:

You don’t spin someone out in front of the whole field, especially on purpose and Carl admitted to that. He should be suspended for the rest of the year.

• Roger says:

Carl dosen’t understand “Bump and Run”, He only knows “Crash and Kill” And he will if Nascar dosen’t stop him now!!!

• Sharon Jones says:

You hit the nail on the head. If he can’t win fair, he will try to wreck the person who is winning. Not with a bump and run, cause he is not that good of a driver. He doesn’t know how to do that. Just a big bully who thinks he can whip any other driver but one of these days he will find out he is not all that great.

• Sonja says:

Did ya’ll watch this race?! Did you see Brad try to wreck Carl in the same lap? If you watched it, yes you did see this. If you are getting all your info form this poorly written article, then it makes Carl seem like the bad guy once again. Brad tried to wreck Carl on the last lap, & he didn’t succeed, but Carl got loose. Carl got revenge, he was not going to have Brad win the race at his expense.

• John says:

No, he didn’t try to ‘wreck’ Carl on the last lap. He did the bump n run.

“No he didn’t slam into you, he didn’t bump you, he didn’t touch you. He rubbed you. And rubbin’ son, is racin’.”

• Andy says:

Good racing? Are you serious? “I just couldn’t let him take this from me” What will it take to get through Edwards’ thick skull. Wrecking someone – the same person as he did in Atlanta – is unacceptable and dangerous. There is a difference between what Earnhardt and Rusty used to do on the bump and run. This is just crash them at any cost. Aflac should be ashamed.

• Stuart says:

Edwards drove dirty.
    He admits to getting back his position, even if it involves spinning a guy in front who he knew he couldn’t pass
    NASCAR will need to take action.
    This could have ended in a death because of the pissy attitude of Edwards.

• Memphis says:

Carl is a disgusting excuse for a human being and if he is racing like this he does not deserve to live let alone have a drive in NASCAR he could have killed someonecand for what?! So he didn’t get a silver trophy? It’s rediculous that someone could be so reckless

• jessica says:

I hope NASCAR doesn’t penalize Carl for this one, Brad got into him first!!! It’s just good old racing baby!!

• nurple says:

Edwards should be banned from racing

• Dustin says:

Here is the Issue boys, Remember when Keselowski and Hamlin got in to it? Brads dad told him that out there you all way the same, so don’t let anyone push you around. Well Carl just showed him that he was not going to be pushed around. If Brad wants to cry like a baby then he better find some sissy sport to play. And to Papa Keselowski, keep your comments to yourself. If you like to make threats, be a man, talk directly to the driver. The freaking camera is a cowards way of making a threat. Funny thing is that when Earnhart Sr. use to do this to other drivers, they all said, IT IS RACING. Well GUESS WHAT! That is racing. I would have done the same thing in Carl’s Shoes. Best thing to do is look back on the history of DW and Dale Sr.