Home » HEADLINE, NASCAR - Xfinity Series

Healthier Kyle Busch Wins Lowe’s Nationwide Race

| , RacinToday.com Saturday, October 17 2009
Kyle Busch celebrates his Nationwide victory at Lowe's Motor Speedway.  (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)

Kyle Busch celebrates his Nationwide victory at Lowe's Motor Speedway. (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)


Looks like Kyle Busch is returning to normal. Physically and on the race tracks. Friday night at Lowe’s Motor Speedway, Busch won the NASCAR Nationwide Series race.

The victory ended an 11-race slump for Busch and came a week after having to get out of his car because of a battle with pneumonia.

Busch led 137 laps of the 200-lap Dollar General 300.

The victory – by 1.7 seconds over Mike Bliss – allowed him to pad his series point lead over Carl Edwards to 195. Edwards finished fifth.

With now just four races to go in the season it appears Busch may be on the verge of winning his first championship.

“There’s still a few to go. Carl’s (Edwards) best track comes up next week,” Busch said. “He’s won the last two or three there. It’s not over, it’s definitely any man’s race right now as far as Carl (Edwards) or myself or even the 88 (Brad Keselowski).

“Unfortunately, there last week, I have to apologize to my fans and all these guys – I had to step out. I didn’t feel good and unfortunately Denny (Hamlin) got caught up in a mess I don’t know if any of us could have gotten out of. He did a great job driving for us. He could have won the raceand almost won the race for us, but unfortunately we lost some points. Hopefully we gained some back tonight and we can go on into next week and keep gaining.”

Busch said the illness began a couple of weeks ago. Right after the race at Kansas Speedway.

“It felt like a cold was coming on and then I got a really, really bad fever and got cold chills and everything,” Busch said. “I had a hard time sleeping all week because of the cold chills and stuff. I don’t know if it was Swine Flu, I don’t know if it was H1N1, I don’t know what it was – it was the flu.

“Then it started to subside about Thursday or Friday and then Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday night I had chills again and a fever. I went to the doctor on Monday, which was pneumonia so I went from the flu to pneumonia and now I’m just getting over the final cases of pneumonia with some antibiotics and stuff like that. I got plenty of rest this week, I didn’t go anywhere, I didn’t leave my house except to the doctor Monday. I didn’t leave Tuesday or Wednesday.”

Dave Blaney finished third and Brian Vickers was fourth.

| , RacinToday.com Saturday, October 17 2009
No Comment

Comments are closed.