Haas Lays Out Plans For Move Into Formula One
Gene Haas, co-owner of Stewart-Haas Racing, talked about his venture into F1 on Monday. (RacinToday/HHP file photo by Christa L Thomas)
By Deb Williams | Senior Writer
CONCORD, N.C. – California businessman Gene Haas said Monday he believes basing his Formula One operation in Kannapolis at the current Stewart-Haas Racing location will be an enhancement rather than a distraction to his four NASCAR teams.
“There are a lot of similarities between both forms of racing,” Haas said. “Both teams use wind tunnels, a lot of CFD computers, both teams need a seven-post rig, which we have at Stewart-Haas Racing.
“One of the biggest things we can take from Formula One is what we learn in aero. Formula One teams are much more into aero packages, especially when it comes down to things like brake ducting and radiator intakes, how air comes back out the wing. These are things the NASCAR teams are just starting to touch on now that the bodies have been regulated in how the air goes over them. I’m hoping knowledge from one side can transfer over to the other.”
Haas was notified last week he had been granted a license for an F1 team. However, he has yet to decide if he will enter competition in 2015 or 2016. He described one as too close and the other too far. He noted there were currently three engine suppliers and they were required to make their engines available.
Guenther Steiner, the team principal for Haas Formula, said during Monday’s press conference that he Read the full story »